Modern Mississauga and Heritage Mississauga have come together to present an ongoing series called “Way Back Wednesdays."
We’ll share information about the history of Mississauga here and answer your questions.
Today’s topic is the history of Little John Lane.
There is a small, dead end roadway in Cooksville, just east of Hurontario Street, named Little John Lane. No, it is not a reference to the Robin Hood story. Originally the road was a farm lane that extended north of Dundas Street and over the Cooksville Creek. The abutments of the small bridge that led over the Cooksville Creek are still evident in John C. Price park – at the end of Little John Lane. Little John Lane and John C. Price park are named for the same person: John Charters Price (1826-1917).
John Charters Price was the son of Lt. Colonel Samuel Price, grandson of Major Samuel Price. John’s farm was located on the Northeast corner of the Dundas and Hurontario intersection and ran north to Burnhamthorpe Road and east to what is today Kirwin Avenue. John and his wife Margaret (nee Blevins) built a home on the west side of Cooksville Creek, just north of Dundas, in 1853. They built a second home just east of the Cooksville Creek and what is now called Little John Lane around 1900. The Price’s also operated a dairy in Cooksville. John C. Price, an active member of the Cooksville Orange Lodge, died in 1917. The second home remained in the Price Family, through his daughter Mary and his grand-nephew Percy. The home was demolished in 1968 to make way for a Plaza. The park at the end of Little John Lane is named in honour of John Charters Price. The “Little John” in Little John Lane also refers to John C. Price, who was known locally as “Little John” to differentiate himself from a nearby cousin, “Big John” (John Hawkins Price) who lived near Burnhamthorpe and Dixie roads.