Modern Mississauga presents Ask The City - Property Standards for my neighbours property

Modern Mississauga and the City of Mississauga have come together to present an ongoing series called “Ask the City.”

We’ll share relevant information here and answer your questions about our city.

Today’s question is about property standards.


There is stagnant water, weeds and tall grass on my neighbour’s property? Will the City clean it up if I call them?

It is the property owner’s responsibility to maintain their property as per the Property Standards By-law and Nuisance Weeds and Tall Grass Control By-law.

These by-laws require residents to keep their properties clear and free of stagnant water and tall grass or nuisance weeds. Nuisance weeds include Buckthorn, Hemlock, Poison Ivy, Thistle, Ragweed, Garlic Mustard and Creeping Charlie. Tall grass cannot exceed 8 inches.

If owners do not maintain their property, they may be in violation of the by-laws. If the City receives a complaint, the owner will be issued a Property Standards Order or a Notice of Contravention that advises them of the violation as well as the timeframe that they have to address the issue within a specific timeframe.

The City’s Enforcement Division and the Region of Peel Health Department will attend to all complaints of stagnant water during warm months to ensure the water is free of potential West Nile causing larvae. Stagnant water may become a breeding ground for mosquitoes that can transmit diseases such as malaria and West Nile virus.

To report a complaint to the City, you can either call 3-1-1 or use the Pingstreet app from your mobile device.

For more information, visit

If you’ve got a question about the City, we want to hear from you.
Please send your questions to with “Ask The City” in the subject line.