The interesting history of the Mississauga Valleys

Modern Mississauga and Heritage Mississauga have come together to present an ongoing series called “Way Back Wednesday.”
We’ll share information about the history of Mississauga here and answer your questions.

Today’s topic is the history of the Mississauga Valleys.

Radial Railway Train, 1930

Radial Railway Train, 1930

A reader recently inquired about the history of the Mississauga Valley subdivision in Mississauga.

Mississauga Valley, or “The Valleys”, was developed by S.B. McLaughlin and Associates Limited in the 1970s. Prior to development, the area was farmland with a few scattered houses, barns, and farm fields, connected to the nearby historic communities of Cooksville, Dixie, Burnhamthorpe and Pucky Huddle (yes, there was a place called Pucky Huddle – we will write on that one in another column).
Construction of “The Valleys” began in the early 1970s, and reflected a growing trend of designing self-contained communities, including shopping, recreation, a variety of housing options, and a linked park system.

Cropped image from 1877 Historical Atlas of Peel County showing Mississauga Valleys area.

Cropped image from 1877 Historical Atlas of Peel County showing Mississauga Valleys area.

Houses were built in a variety of styles that were popular at the time, including Spanish-influences and “California-style” bungalows. Interestingly, from 1917 until 1931, the Toronto and Guelph Radial Railway line traversed diagonally through the Mississauga Valley area, and its right-of-way was plainly evident on the landscape right up until development in the 1970s.

From the Price Farm, in what is now the Mississauga Valleys, c1900.jpg

From the Price Farm, in what is now the Mississauga Valleys, c1900.jpg