These muffins are a delicious afternoon snack. The recipe will make approximately 36 standard sized muffins, or you can bake the same batter in two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans lined with parchment or lightly oiled.
36 Muffins | Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 can (796 ml) pumpkin puree
1 tbsp grated orange zest
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded bran cereal
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1 ½ cups chopped walnuts or raisins or a mixture of both (optional)
½ cup pumpkin seeds (to top muffins)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat together brown sugar, eggs, oil, pumpkin puree and milk.
- Stir in orange zest and bran cereal.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices until combined. With a wooden spoon, stir dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture just until blended and stir in nuts and raisins.
- Divide evenly among muffin tins or into prepared loaf pans and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- For muffins, bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. For loaf, Bake on centre rack 1 hour 15 minutes or until cake tester/ wooden skewer comes out clean.