Labour Day is Monday, September 5th, 2016, and with it comes one final long weekend before we say goodbye to summer until next year. Take some time out of getting the kids ready to go back to school and make the most of the weekend! Barbecue, go shopping, enjoy some fireworks, or just relax. For an overview of what's open, what's closed, and what to do in and around Mississauga for the Labour Day long weekend (September 2-5, 2016), we've got you covered.
What's open and closed on Monday September 5, 2016
- Square One is open from 11 AM to 6 PM, for those who need to do some (extremely last-minute) back-to-school shopping.
- Whole Foods adjacent to Square One will also be open from 10 AM to 7 PM, in case you're running low on organic sustainably-sourced juice boxes for little Brayden and Penelope's first day back in the classroom.
- Movie Theatres are also open, because in the words of 90's one-hit wonder Harvey Danger, "the movies are always open."
- All malls and shopping centres other than Square One (including Heartland, Erin Mills Town Centre, etc.) are closed.
- The LCBO and Beer Store are closed, so stock up on what you need before Monday.
- Loblaws and all other major grocery chains are also closed - yes, even that 24-hour Sobeys across the street.
- Libraries and community centres will be closed.
- Garbage and recycling pickup is delayed by one day, so if your garbage day is normally Monday, you're off the hook!
Labour Day fireworks are becoming scarce, with only two real options for people living in the GTA. Lucky for us, they're on separate days (Saturday and Sunday), and one of the two options is right here in Mississauga!
Give summer a proper send-off with a party headlined by none other than DJ Jazzy Jeff! The party starts at 5 PM and features up-and-coming Mississauga artists as well as hip-hop karaoke. If that wasn't enough, there will also be a food truck event so massive that it needs its own awards show. Yes, that's right - in addition to over 25 trucks filled to the brim with delicious eats, Celebration Square will also be hosting the AwesTRUCK Food Truck Awards!
Capping off the night at 11 PM will be an epic fireworks finale presented by Tim Hortons. Admission is free!
Spend your Sunday enjoying the rides and attractions, then cap it off at the end of the night with over 6,000 choreographed fireworks effects. Best of all, since these fireworks are on a Sunday, you can sleep in on the Labour Day Monday!