Modern Mississauga and Heritage Mississauga have come together to present an ongoing series called “Way Back Wednesday’s."
We’ll share information about the history of Mississauga here and answer your questions.
Today’s topic is the history of Kindree Circle.
Kindree Circle is named for the Kindree family, who settled in the area before 1829. A small pioneer cemetery on Derry Road West near Tenth Line is known as Kindree Cemetery (established circa 1829), and is the final resting place for many early settlers, and is reflective of some of the many difficulties faced by our forbearers. This early burial ground is located on the south side of Derry Road between Ninth Line and Tenth Line, on the banks overlooking the eastern tributary of the Sixteen Mile Creek. The cemetery is believed to have been established for the children of Nathan and Mary Kindree.
The Kindree family originated in Wales before immigrating to the United States and settling in New Jersey. Nathan and Mary Kindree are believed to have arrived in Canada, and settled in this area of Trafalgar Township, in the early 1820s.
In historic terms, the cemetery is located on part of Lot 10, Concession 10, in the New Survey of Trafalgar Township. Interestingly, the cemetery does not appear to have been established on land owned by the Kindrees, although they may have farmed the property as tenants. Asa Kindree, believed to be a son of Nathan and Mary, purchased 100 acres in Lot 9, Concession 10, which is to the south of the cemetery property, in 1854.
According to City records, the Kindree children buried in the cemetery died between 1829 and 1839; three girls died from tuberculosis, while the causes of the other deaths are unknown. Their father, Nathan Kindree, is buried nearby in the Eden United Cemetery. Nathan and Mary Kindree had 12 children, five of which survived to adulthood and raised their own families in the area, including Asa. The other seven children are buried within this small cemetery. There are believed to be many other burials within the cemetery, likely from families in the surrounding area.
The cemetery was largely lost and forgotten for many years, and was only “rediscovered” in the 1970s, and once again, in the 1990s. The cemetery is now cared for by the City of Mississauga. To learn more about this historic cemetery, please visit: