Nando's, home of the legendary, Southern African flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken, has recently opened up a new location near Courtney Park and Hwy 10 on 90 Annagem Blvd.
Interestingly, their approach to opening new stores is that each location gets a unique interior decor and layout. That means that each Nando's you visit will be uniquely different decor wise while the food remains consistently delicious.
Their famous PERi-PERi sauce embodies the fiery spirit of Southern Africa and is the special ingredient that makes their chicken and PERi-PERi deliciously addictive, says their website.
We visited the brand new location and were impressed with the layout, design along with the superb staff and oh-so-wonderfully flavourful menu items, seen below:
Headquartered right here in Mississauga, the Nando's team understands that blending sought after food and a warm, inviting atmosphere is what will keep them competitive and they're doing quite the job of that, with additional locations on the horizon.
Here are a few (well, a lot) fun facts about Nando's that you may not have known:
• They have 3 locations in the Mississauga area and have 48 now in Canada
• Nando’s PERi-PERi is at the heart and soul of Nando’s and is based on the recipe first discovered when Portuguese sailors landed in Africa
• Nando’s has strong African and Portuguese influences. We call it Afro-Portuguese, and it’s expressed in our restaurant designs and our food.
• PERi-PERi is the Swahili word for Bird’s Eye Chilli, and is the special ingredient that makes Nando’s chicken and sauces so deliciously addictive.
• The Bird’s Eye Chilli is the only chilli that grows upwards, towards the sun.
• Their PERi-PERi recipe remains a closely-guarded secret.
• Their chickens are locally sourced, marinated for 24 hours and never frozen.
• Nando’s chicken is grilled to perfection on order over an open flame.
• Nandoca is the name for people who work at Nando’s
• Nando's has bottled the fire and flavor of PERi-PERi in a range of sauces and can be purchased in grocery stores across Canada.
• Their PERi-PERi sauces do not contain any artificial preservatives, flavors, colours or MSG
• If you’re going on an expedition to the North or South Pole, your last stops to fuel up on PERi-PERi are Aberdeen in Scotland and Queenstown in New Zealand!
• Their very first restaurant opened in 1987 in Rosettenville, a suburb of Johannesburg in South Africa. It’s still there to this day.
• Nando’s has over 1,200 restaurants worldwide.
• They work with over 1,100 small scale farmers who grow our chilis
• The first Nando’s in Canada opened its doors in Richmond BC in 1994.
• Each one of their restaurants has its own special design, no two Nando’s will ever look the same.
• Patrão. Portuguese for ‘Head of the House’. At Nando’s, each restaurant manager is the head of their restaurant (casa), so we call them Patrãos.
• Nando’s is believed to have the world’s largest contemporary South African art collection.