National Poetry Month arrives in April, but the City of Mississauga is kicking off the celebrations early with a series of poetry events this month and into April.
If you love rhymes and creating poetry, check out these exciting and inspiring poetry workshops and sessions happening at a Mississauga library near you and the Small Arms Inspection Building.
All events are free.
Pre-Slam Poetry Workshops
Are you an aspiring young artist, ages 13 to 19? Join Mississauga’s 2017-2019 Poet Laureate, Wali Shah and current Youth Poet Laureate, Pujita Verma, as they facilitate and lead these workshops.
As space is limited, participants must register by calling or visiting the listed library in advance to reserve a spot: mississauga.ca/portal/residents/libraryhours
· Erin Meadows Library: Wednesday, March 13 from 2:30-3:30 p.m.
· Malton Library: Wednesday, March 13 from 5-6 p.m.
· Central Library: Thursday, April 4 from 4-5 p.m.
· Mississauga Valley Library: Friday, April 5 from 4-5 p.m.
Poetry and Calligraphy Workshop
Join poet, Laboni Islam and artist, Soheila K. Esfahani, to create something new through text and image using storytelling and self-expression. This two-day workshop focuses on inter-generational dialogue through creative writing and art-making. Ages 11 and up.
· Small Arms Inspection Building: Saturday, March 16 and Sunday, March 17 from 1-4 p.m.
Learn about this unique poetry while having fun and creating something new and amazing. Ages 13 to 19.
· Central Library: Monday, April 8 from 6-8 p.m.
Share your poetry with others while they also share theirs with you. Refreshments and snacks will be available. Ages 13 to 19.
· Erin Meadows Library: Wednesday, April 10 from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Create your own fridge magnet or try blackout poetry using old magazines and other fun supplies. Ages 13 to 19.
· Central Library: Monday, April 15 from 6-8 p.m.
First Annual Poetry Slam
All are welcome to attend the City’s first annual poetry slam with Mississauga’s Poet Laureates. If you are between the ages of 12 to 24, you can also apply to perform in the poetry slam for a chance to win prizes. Participation deadline is April 15.
· Noel Ryan Auditorium, Central Library: Thursday, April 25 from 6-9 p.m.
Drop by any Mississauga library during the month of April to create poetry and turn it into origami. All ages and self-directed.
For more information about Poetry Month in the city, please visit mississaugaculture.ca/poetrymonth.
Plan your travel using MiWay’s Trip Planner or call 905-615-INFO (4636) for assistance.