In conversation with Mississauga’s talented artist Jade Hilton.
1. What drew you to become a singer/songwriter?
I started with musical theatre as a child. At 14, I taught myself how to play guitar then started writing songs, which was a great way to express myself.
2. Of all your live performances to date, which one resonates the most and why?
My performance at the 2019 Rogers Cup in Toronto, as tennis has always been a big part of my life. I attended it growing up and often played on those courts as a junior. I graduated from the University of Illinois in 2018 on a full tennis scholarship and played on the varsity team.
Having this opportunity is a dream come true.
3. Describe your musical style.
A blend of folk and pop.
4. What's been the most challenging aspect of your musical career?
Immersing myself in the GTA music scene. After being away for four years at school, it was challenging for me coming home and being accepted here. However, I've made many connections by performing and getting out in the community.
5. What's been the most rewarding aspect?
Seeing how my music affects people. It’s crazy how many connections I've made with people in my community and around the world by performing and releasing music.
I never thought so many people would be supporting me.
6. What keeps you motivated and driven?
My passion to make music for the rest of my life. I coach tennis daily and performing as much as I can.
Everything I make goes toward my music career, including studio time, production, and equipment.
One day, everything will pay off and I’ll get to focus on music full time.
7. What succinct advice do you have for other artists?
Be patient and never give up. With any career in the arts, the hardest part is staying positive. It's easy to quit, but if you can stay true to yourself and put in the work, the results will show.
8. Do you write lyrics or music first and why?
I start by playing around with some melodies on the guitar or piano, and if I'm feeling emotional I'll write some lyrics.
9. What four things are absolute necessities in your life?
Music, family, exercise, and good food.
10. What's on the horizon for 2020?
I plan to have my EP released and several more shows lined up… I'm definitely excited for 2020!