Do you want all the deliciousness of cabbage rolls without the time-consuming effort and preparation? Then this cabbage roll casserole recipe is for you. Also, cabbage roll casserole has the rare benefit of being both fun to say and enjoyable to eat!
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1 small onion, diced
4 garlic cloves minced or pressed
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sage
1 small cabbage (about 1/2 lb), shredded or cut into ½ inch pieces
1 cup uncooked rice, rinsed
1 540ml can diced tomatoes (I used Aylmer's Accents garlic and olive oil brand)
1 213ml can tomato sauce (I used Hunt's brand)
1.5 cups beef broth, plus 1/4 cup extra
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet or frying pan with a fitting lid, brown the ground beef and pork. When the meat is no longer pink, drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Add the onions, garlic and spices. Cook on medium/low heat until the onions soften and garlic is fragrant.
- Turn off heat. Carefully stir in the cabbage, rice, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce and mix well. Transfer the mixture into a large casserole dish or deep 13x9 lasagna pan. Pour 1 1/2 cups of beef broth over the mixture and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for approximately 60-75 minutes. After the first 30 minutes, take the casserole out of the oven and give it a stir. Taste it to see how tender the cabbage and rice are. (If you prefer to have the cabbage very soft and the rice very tender, add another 1/4 cup of beef broth)
- Cover, and continue cooking for another 30-45 minutes.
Feel free to check out more recipes via my Instagram account: EAT_LOVE_BE_HEALTHY
Kat Maltarp, BSc. is a Certified Personal Trainer and Registered Health & Exercise Practitioner.