These incredibly addictive treats require no baking, minimal preparation, and accommodate a wide variety of dietary restrictions. This recipe gets its creamy texture from avocado instead of dairy, and uses dark chocolate to keep those lactose intolerant tummies happy. Everything in this recipe is also gluten-free (yes, even the oats, as long as they've never come in contact with wheat, barley, or rye).
Makes about 20-24 balls
3/4 cup ripe avocado (about 1 medium)
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut plus more for rolling
1/3 cup raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
1 large ripe banana
2 cups quick oats
1/3 dark chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or a silpat mat. Set aside.
- On a small plate, pour about 1/2 cup of shredded coconut. Set aside. (This is for rolling your balls; you may need more depending on how much you like).
- In a food processor combine avocado, honey, shredded coconut, cacao and banana and mix until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add in one cup of oats and pulse until incorporated. Do the same with the second cup of oats.
- Transfer into a bowl and then stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a scoop or a tablespoon, spoon approximately 2 tablespoons of mixture and drop into shredded coconut. Roll it around until the mixture is just covered and then using your hands, roll into a ball and place onto baking sheet. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Place the baking sheet in freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week (if they last that long)!