Enjoy this ooey-gooey panini for dinner with a salad on the side or a delicious bowl of soup. If you don’t have a griddle or panini press, you can use a large skillet to toast the sandwiches.
4 Servings | Prep Time: 30 Minutes | Total Time: 45 Minutes
8 slices of bread
1 small wheel of brie cheese
1 medium apple (such as granny smith, mutsu or crispin)
2 medium white onions
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1. Pre-heat a skillet over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
2. Thinly slice white onions and add to skillet.
3. Stir the onions frequently. Once they become translucent, turn the heat to medium-low and continue to cook while stirring occasionally. The natural sugars in the onions will begin to caramelize. Remove the onions from the heat once they turn a rich golden brown colour.
4. Slice wheel of brie into about 16 slices.
5. Thinly slice apple.
6. Pre-heat griddle, panini press or large skillet.
7. Lay out slices of bread and spread a thin layer of mustard onto each piece. Add 2 slices of brie followed by slices of apple, caramelized onions, 2 more slices of cheese and top with second piece of bread.
8. Place assembled sandwich into pre-heated skillet, panini press or griddle. Sandwiches are ready when both sides of the bread are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
TIP – if making a large batch of sandwiches, transfer the finished sandwiches to a cookie sheet and keep warm in the oven set at 200 degrees Celsius until ready to serve.