The weather is warming up and it's time to clean off and fire up the good ol' BBQ to start a season of delicious food cooked in the great outdoors. What better way to kick off BBQ season than with these delicious garlic chili lime shrimp skewers?
2-3 tablespoons sunflower oil or other high heat oil
3-4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 bag of frozen pre-cooked and peeled large shrimp (about 1 pound)
Juice of 1 lime
6-8 mini skewers
1 teaspoon sea salt
1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
A pinch or two of chili flakes
- Defrost shrimp in fridge overnight. Rinse, drain and remove tails.
- Make the seasoning blend by combining all the spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss shrimp in seasoning mix, garlic, lime juice and sunflower oil. Let marinate in fridge for at least 1 hour, taking out a few times and stirring to make sure all the shrimp get a good coating of marinade.
- Preheat BBQ to medium high. Meanwhile, stab shrimp onto skewers (about 5-6 on each depending on size of shrimp). Place skewers on hot BBQ and use a basting brush to baste the remaining marinade over the shrimp while they're grilling. Flip once or twice, being careful not to burn or overcook the shrimp (they are already cooked so they really just need to be on the BBQ to heat through and get nice grill marks on them).
- Serve with grilled veggies, a side salad and enjoy!