[PRESENTED BY JENN PIKE]
I've whipped up a few tasty, nutrient-dense dishes featuring my all-time favorite root vegetable – sweet potatoes – in an attempt to satisfy the need of keeping healthy and my immune system supported as well as making delicious and gorgeous dishes we would all enjoy.
Besides being a very versatile vegetable that you can use for breakfast, lunch or dinner, sweet potatoes are a superfood! Did you know that sweet potatoes pack a powerful punch of vitamins A, C, manganese, copper, B6, B3, B1, B2, potassium, fiber, phosphorus and biotin? Isn’t that incredible from one vegetable! Sweet potatoes harvested in the US go through a curing process to give the potato it’s distinct flavour and also ensures that we have sweet potatoes in Canada to eat all year long. When in the grocery store, look for sweet potatoes grown in the US, also available in the organic section.
Here are four simple ways to wake up your taste buds, surprise your family and friends and give you an extra little hit of inspiration in your kitchen.
Sweetie oat potato pancakes
4 egg whites
1 organic whole egg
½ cup organic sweet potato puree
½ cup organic oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Heat your pan over light-medium heat and melt 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Add your egg whites and whole egg(s) in and whisk to blend.Add your sweet potato and continue to whisk.
*alternatively, you can blend this mixture of eggs and sweet potatoes in your blender
- Add your oats and cinnamon, spreading evenly in the pan.
- Cook as you would a regular pancake, waiting for edges to firm up and centre to slightly bubble. Flip and cook for extra 1-2 minutes before serving up with your favorite topping of either grass-fed butter and honey or nut butter with maple syrup or fresh fruit and hemp seeds
Cashew herb cheese with sweet potato crackers
2 cups raw cashews soaked in filtered water for 2 – 4 hours (soaking is optional)
*you can use sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds or ½ ½ if there is a nut allergy
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 cup – 1/2 cup filtered water as needed for desired consistency
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh garlic minced (depending on preference)
1 tsp Sea Salt plus more to taste
1 tsp minced garlic (optional)
1 chopped green onion
1 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
Combine all ingredients in your food processor and blend until well combined. If it's too thick, add a touch more water.
Sweet potato crackers
One large sweet potato
- Wash and peel one large sweet potato.
- Thinly slice into your preferred cracker shape.
- Top each slice with cheese and voila! Gluten-free, Grain-free apps or snacks for all!
Sweet potato black bean burger
2 cups mashed sweet potato
1 cup black beans, rinsed and well drained
1 - 1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup walnut meal (or very finely chopped)
1/2 cup finely diced green onion
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper (to taste)
1/4 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
1 tbsp brown sugar (optional | for added sweetness)
Sprouts, lettuce or parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cut sweet potatoes in half.
- Bake sweet potatoes until soft and tender to the touch - about 30 minutes - set aside. Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- While potatoes are baking, cook rice.
- Add black beans to a mixing bowl and mash half of them for texture. Then add sweet potato and lightly mash, then add 1 cup rice, green onion, walnut meal and spices. Mix to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more rice or nut meal if the mixture feels too wet. It should be very moist but moldable.
- Use a ¼ cup amount of the patty mixture to form and pat down patties.
- Bake burgers for a total 30-45 minutes, carefully flipping 20 minutes in to ensure even cooking. The longer you bake them the firmer and drier they will get.
- Serve on gluten free buns or over a salad with sliced avocado, greens, mustard and ketchup or salsa.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to a few days or freeze for up to one month.
If you love the recipes I am sharing with you here you will absolutely drool over my newest book, The Simplicity Kitchen, which is available for purchase now on my website www.jennpike.com and be sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram @jennpike.com plus my YouTube channel Simplicity TV.