There are many ways to have your say on the City of Mississauga’s proposed 2018 Budget. Residents can try the City’s budget allocator, explore the City’s budget website, join in a telephone budget session, request a group meeting or attend a Budget Committee meeting.
Mississauga's online budget allocator for the 2018 Budget is now available at mississauga.ca/budget.
The online budget allocator lets residents choose their preferred spending option on 12 City services. In addition, residents can explore and learn more about the services included in the City’s budget and the overall process.
From transit and roads to fire and emergency services and recreation programs, City services impact people’s lives every day. Decisions about spending on City services drive the budget. Residents can use the allocator to test different spending options and then choose one for each service area.
Results from the allocator received by November 1 will be shared with Budget Committee on November 20. The results will help inform the committee’s review of the 2018 proposed Business Plan and Budget.
“The budget allocator is a simple way for residents to learn more about what City services cost, how property tax dollars are spent and to tell us about their priorities,” says Jeff Jackson, Director of Finance and Treasurer. “It is an opportunity to think about and share their priorities and get people involved in their City’s business planning and budgeting process."
Residents can also participate in one of three telephone budget sessions taking place on October 4 (city-wide), October 18 (Wards 2 and 6) and October 26 (Wards 3 and 4).
Jackson added, “The telephone budget sessions provide a great opportunity to hear from the City’s senior leaders about the budget. A random selection of residents will receive a call with an invitation in advance to attend one of the upcoming sessions, followed by another call on the day of the session. Anyone who does not wish to participate can simply hang up.”
Learn About the Budget
- Details about the City budget and the budgeting process are available online at mississauga.ca/budget
- An overview of the 2018 proposed Business Plan & Budget was presented to Budget Committee on June 28, 2017
- The full 2018 proposed Business Plan & Budget will be posted online on November 13
- Budget Committee deliberations are scheduled for November 20, 21, 27, 28 and 29, with a Council vote to approve the budget planned for December 13, 2017
Get Involved in Planning and Budgeting
- Have your say – try the budget allocator tool
- Sign up to participate in a telephone budget session
- Request a meeting for your community group
- Have a question or comment? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow the City on Facebook and Twitter
- Attend or watch a Budget Committee meeting. All Budget Committee meetings are open to the public and are available via live stream.