These spring rolls are an ideal appetizer and are sure to be a hit with party guests and family members alike.
1 lb ground pork
400 g headless shrimp
1 full egg
1 egg yolk
4 tbsp fish sauce
1 medium carrot
50 g of glass noodles/transparent vermicelli (this usually comes in 6 portions/package; 1 portion is sufficient)
1 pack of small spring roll pastry wraps
Oil to fry
Making the Filling:
- Soak glass noodles in a bowl of water to soften; drain and cut up into small shreds when softened.
- Peel and shred carrot.
- Peel and chop up shrimp into a ground-like consistency.
- Mix shrimp, ground pork, shredded carrot and glass noodles into a large bowl.
- Stir in 4 tbsp of fish sauce and one whole egg.
- Crack and separate 1 egg; keep the yolk in a separate bowl to use as the adhesive for your spring rolls.
Making the rolls:
- Separate the spring roll wrap sheets.
- On a plate, place one wrap in a diamond form with a corner pointing towards you.
- Scoop a spoonful of the filling and place it just above the corner of the wrap closest to your body.
- Lift the bottom corner of your wrap to cover your filling.
- Next, fold in the side corners, keeping your sides as even/parallel as much as possible.
- Continue rolling your wrap up and away from you.
- Add a dab of egg yolk to the final corner of the wrap and roll to close.
- Deep fry spring rolls in oil on medium high heat until golden brown.
- Set finished spring rolls over paper towel to dab off excess oil.
Check out our step-by-step gallery below: